Dhokla which is one of the favourite breakfast of many people is a veg item that originally comes from Gujrat. Dhokla is a type of snack that can be eaten as breakfast or also as a side dish. Dhokla is eaten with tomato sauce or tamrind chutney also deep fried green chillies and coriander chutney is served with Dhokla.
Dhokla: Gujarati style khaman dhokla at home.Print This
- • Besan or gram flour 1 ½ cup
- • Rava or semolina 1- 1 ½ tsp
- • Curd, dahi, or yogurt
- • Salt as required
- • Turmeric ½ small spoon or 2-3 pinches
- • Green chili (chopped finely or you can also use paste) 2-2 ½ tsp
- • Eno 2tsp or (citric acid/fruit salt ½ tsp & baking soda ¾
- • Water 1 cup or as required
- • Lemon juice 1tsp
- • Oil 1-2 tsp
- • Mustard seeds 1tsp
- • Cumin seeds or jeera 1tsp
- • Coriander (chopped finely) ½ tsp
- • Sugar 2tsp
- • Curry leaves 8-10
- Take a pan and grease it with oil.
- In a bowl take gram flour and mix it well
- Add turmeric, chili paste and salt to it and mix well
- Now, add lemon juice and water
- Add water as required to have thick but a flowing paste or consistency.
- To the above mixture add sooji or rava and stir the mixture
- The mixture or Dhokla batter should not have any lumps.
- Side by side also add 2-3 cups of water to pressure cooker or electric cooker and bring to boil.
- Quantity of water depends on the size of steamer or pressure cooker.
- Now, add 2 tsp eno or fruit salt.
- After adding eno or fruit salt to mixture whisk the mixture fast. (Fruit salt should be mixed evenly in the batter or you can get uneven texture.)
- When you whisk the Dhokla batter fast, the batter would get froth and get bubbly.
- Pour the whisked batter in a greased pan and be quick as the froth should not settle.
- Steam the Dhokla batter.
How to steam Dhokla:
- Take the pan with batter and place it in electric cooker or pressure cooker.
- Water in steamer should boil, before you place the pan with Dhokla batter in steamer or cooker.
- Remove the whistle of lid in case of cooker and then cook the Dhokla.
- For pressure cooker steam it for 14-15 minutes and for electric cooker cook it for 15-20 mints.
- Cook on a medium high flame.
- After 15 mints, put a toothpick and check if Dhokla done. If the toothpick removes clean Dhokla is done.
- Remove the Dhokla from pan and slice it.
Seasoning of Dhokla:
- Heat oil in small pan, add mustard (sarso) seeds to oil.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, green chillies to oil.
- Add sugar (2tsp)
- Add water to mixture (1/3 cup)
- As water sizzles, be careful when you add water.
- Bring the mixtue to boil and pour it properly and evenly on Dhokla.
- You can add, chopped coriander for garnishing.
- Serve it with tamrind chutney and fried chillies.
• Baking soda or eno can react with turmeric and can give red spots or slight red color to Dhokla. • Add small amount of turmeric or you can also skip it.