Paneer Butter Masala is also known by various names like Paneer Makhani, Butter Paneer etc.(Paneer makani is made without onion & garlic) The dish is known by rich gravy that is made by using onion paste, cashewnut paste, tomato puree and some other Indian spices. Paneer Butter Masala is a traditional Punjabi recipe or a north Indian recipe which consist of soft pieces of Paneer that are cooked in rich cream, tomato gravy and butter.
To make this delicious Paneer Butter Masala at home take a look at the simple step by step recipe given below.
Paneer Butter MasalaPrint This
- • 3 medium chopped onions (1 cup)
- • 3 large tomatoes (1.5 cup)
- • 1 tsp coriander powder
- • Salt as required
- • 1 tsp oil
- • 12-13 cashewnuts
- • ½ tsp garam masala
- • ¾ red chilli powder (add according to color needed)
- • Sugar small spoon
- • 1-2 tsp butter
- • 1-2 bay leaf
- • ½- 1 tsp cinnamon stick
- • 4-5 cloves
- • 1 tsp ginger, garlic paste
- • 2 cups Paneer
- • 1 small spoon kasuri methi
- • ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- • Full fat cream (optional)
- Take a pan and heat the oil
in it; fry cube chopped onions till juicy, transparent.
- Now, fry chopped tomatoes for about 4 mints, let it cook properly.
- Add cashewnuts, coriander powder, garam masala, sugar(optional), chilli powder.
- Fry the above mixture well till it leaves oil from sides.
- Switch off the gas & let the mixture cool.
- Once the mixture is cooled, blend the mixture to a very fine paste.
- Add butter in same pan and roast all the spices like cinnamon, bay leaf, clove etc for about 1 minute.
- Once the spices are roasted, add ginger garlic paste to it and fry well.
- Add the blended paste or mixture, add water and red chilli powder and cook till the gravy gets thick.
- After the gravy is perfectly thick and to a proper consistency add paneer to the pan.
- Add kasuri methi to the mixture.
- Cook for 4-5 more minutes.
- You can add creame if needed and according to your choice (optional).
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot!!!
- You can serve Paneer Butter Masala with naan or roti.
- Paneer Butter Masala can also go with jeera rice, plain rice or veg pulao.
Tips and Tricks: • Add sugar, if needed for slightly sweet taste. • If you want you can fry the paneer to golden brown and then add it to the gravy. • You can skip onion and garlic, if you want Paneer Butter Masala without it, its just that you will get less amount of gravy. • If you did not get perfect red color for your recipe you can add little amount of food color. • For perfect color of gravy take ripe tomatoes and red chilli powder (Kashmiri mirch).