Rasgulla is very soft and spongy Bengali dessert made from chenna i.e paneer. This dessert is also known as roshogolla in Bengali. It is a wonderfull dish made from cheena and cooked in sugar syrup. It is a mouthwatering dessert which is made from small paner balls that are soaked in sugar syrup till the syrup penetrates in the paneer balls and make them soft and tender. Rasgullas change their color and texture according to the region. The odisa rasgullas or you can say the tradional Odisa rasgullas are soft and tender, which are creamish in color as compaired to Bengali Rasgullas. Bengali Rasgullas are white, juicy and rubbery in texture. Both Odisa and West Bengal claims rasgulla to be its birthplace.
There are many Bengali desserts, but Rasgulla is one of my favourite. There are different methods of making rasgulla, you can make it in oven or also in a pressure cooker. You can also enhance its taste and flavors by adding edible rose water.
Talking about the nutritional value of this dessert we can say about 100 gm of rasgullas contains about 180 calories, from which 150 calories are carbs/ carbohydrates.
I would also like to share other mouthwatering dessert recipes like rasmalai, gulab jamun, shrikhand etc with you all.
You can also suggest me different recipes that you all want me to share with you guys.
Can suggest me at: email@example.com
Rasgulla: A Soft And Spongy Dessert RecipePrint This
- • 1 litre whole milk
- • 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice or ½ cup whisked yogurt
- • 1 ½ cup sugar (can use more sugar if needed according to sweetness you need)
- • 1/4 cardamom powder
- • water
- Take the buffalo’s milk in a broad and deep non-stick pan or vessel and bring to a boil.
- Add the lemon juice or whisked yogurt gradually and keep on stirring gently.
- Allow it to stay for ½ minute to curdle. It is completely curdled, when the chenna and the whey separate out.
- Rinse the cheese or the chenna under running water for 2 to 3 times
- Strain the whey using muslin cloth and Discard or store the whey.
- Tie and hang the chenna for 30 minutes so as to remove the extra water and drain out the whey.
1) Put 5 cups of water in a pressure cooker or wide pan, add sugar and bring to a boil, stirr occasionally so that the sugar dissolves completely.
2) Knead the chenna very well using your palms for 3 to 4 minutes or till the chenna turns into smooth dough.
3) Divide and take small portions of chenna and make small ball lookout to it that the balls are not too big or too small.
4) Add the cardamom powder nad rose water (optional)
5) Put the chenna balls into the boiling sugar water one after other gently. Cover and steam for 7 to 8 minutes on a medium high flame.
6) Stir for every 3-4 minutes to see even cooking & puffing.
7) Switch off the flame and allow it to cool in the steamer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove gently into a bowl, refrigerate and serve chilled.
• If buffalo’s milk is not available you can make the recipe using 5 cups of cow’s milk. • Do not add many balls in one pan there must be enough space in pan for rasgullas to float and puff.